Bottom Line: Employee Engagement

Employee EngagementIn the past so-called “intangibles” were subordinate to cash flow and earnings—numbers as it were.

That Was Then

Today we know there are significant portions of organizational value that cannot be captured by accounting.  Things like the worth of  Employee Engagement or the value of a culture of involvement; commitment, passion. Energy and enthusiasm have become inextricably linked with bottom line value.

In fact, Steve Jobs commented in a Fortune article, Apple is only its ideas-which is only its people. People create the very worth of the company so investing and engaging employees is the bottom line.

It stands to reason at the bottom line: employee engagement is inescapable. 

Gallup meta-analysis study found that a lack of involvement and commitment leads to unhappy, disengaged workers that are costing the U.S. economy between $450 and $550 annually. According to Gallup only 30% of U.S. workers are engaged and the other 70% are not reaching their potential individually or organizationally.

American Express Small Business Open Forum found that disengagement equates to costs,  lost productivity and hindered efficiency. Collectively this itself is a drain on our economy.

 Efforts to Increase Employee Engagement:

Some organizations have been working to combat employee stagnation, negativity and pessimism with things like Zappos’ buy out program—giving cash incentives for unhappy employees before they become disgruntled and Google’s corporate culture of thriving.

Costco pays workers 65% more than Walmart and has beat out Sam’s Club in sales and growth—all attributed to the competitive advantage of investing heavily in employees.

 Keystone Effects of Employee Engagement:

The Gallup research found that the best companies with the most engaged, motivated and satisfied employees enjoy 50% fewer accidents, 41% fewer quality defects and 25% less healthcare costs. A Wharton study titled Why Employee Satisfaction Matters to Shareholders found that businesses with high levels of employee satisfaction perform better than those lacking high levels of satisfaction. Engagement does affect the bottom line!

Here are Key Employee Engagement Strategies for 2018

The keys to employee satisfaction are in the hands of leadership. The Gallup analysis found that managers and leaders play a critical role. Leadership sets the tone from the top down and transformation occurs at the local level, on the floor where managers are embedded with the workers. Managers must be trained, coached and held accountable for the engagement (results) they create through employees.

Employees must feel valued at work and everyone must know their contribution matters. Workers must know they matter and feel connected to a higher purpose.

Improved working conditions improve relationships and productivity. Engagement begets engagement.

Employees spend more time at work than sleeping, why wouldn’t they perform better if they were happy at work? Through engagement U.S. workers can reach individual potential and increase organizational profit. A little effort leads to benefit and efficiency all around.

 

Call Brian to increase you engagement personally or for your team.

 

© Brian Braudis 2019, All rights reserved

Tags: , , ,

Categorized in: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *